Before a colonoscopy, the patient will be instructed to:
- Follow a special diet the day before the exam that will include only clear liquids like plain water, tea and coffee without milk or cream, broth and carbonated beverages.
- Take a laxative the night before colonoscopy or use the laxative both the night before and the morning of the procedure to empty the colon.
- Adjust or stop medications temporarily at least a week before the procedure
After a colonoscopy, the patient will be instructed to:
- Take rest for a day till the full effects of the sedative wear off. Do not drive or operate machinery on the day of colon examination.
- Arrange someone to drive back to the patient’s home.
- To eat a special diet temporarily in case of polyp removal.
- To walk as walking helps in getting relief from bloating, gas and abdominal discomfort.
- Consult the doctor immediately in case of bleeding or blood clots or persistent abdominal pain or a fever.