Need help with enlarged breast tissues in males? Are you searching for a safe and long-lasting solution? You can stop searching now and opt for gynecomastia treatment options at MEDSTAR. Cosmetic procedures are not for women only, our clinical team of the cosmetic surgery department has enhanced countless male chest and have helped in building up confidence.
● Gynecomastia is the abnormal condition of enlargement of breast tissues in males due to an imbalance of hormones. It can affect one or both breasts and can result in uneven breast shapes in males. Enlarged breasts in males are also known as male boobs.
● Gynecomastia is commonly found in:
○ Babies: In Babies, gynecomastia is common and it is due to the mother's hormones activity in the fetus. This kind of gynecomastia resolves on its own with time.
○ Puberty: In boys, during puberty, enlarged breast tissue can be seen due to increased hormonal secretion. In 80% of the cases, a gynecomastia in puberty resolves itself in 2-3 years.
○ Old age males: In old males (>50 years), hormonal imbalance and certain medications can result in enlarged breast tissues.
● Other than these normal occurrences, there are other conditions and causes which can lead to gynecomastia in men. These abnormal conditions can be treated medically or surgically.
● Grades of Gynecomastia:
○ Grade 1: Enlarged nipples
○ Grade 2: Enlarged with excess fat
○ Grade 3: Enlarged nipples with excess fat and skin
○ Grade 4: Full-grown breasts like females
Other than the normal phases of lives, gynecomastia is caused by:
● Medical conditions:
○ Lack of proper nutrition
○ Tumors in the testicles or adrenal glands
○ Liver disease
○ Kidney failure
○ Anabolic steroids
○ Finasteride for enlarged prostate
○ Spironolactone, digoxin, amiodarone, and calcium channel blockers
○ Cimetidine and proton pump inhibitors for heartburn
○ Benzodiazepines for anxiety
○ Ketoconazole for fungal infections
○ Metronidazole for bacterial infections
○ Human chorionic gonadotropin for fertility problems
○ Amphetamines, marijuana, heroin, methadone, and alcohol
In most cases, gynecomastia surgery in Dubai is harmless and asymptomatic. But can be a reason for low self-esteem and embarrassment in males. It can also show the symptoms of swollen, tender breast tissue that need medical or surgical treatment with or without discharge.
● The patient can consider gynecomastia treatment in the case of:
○ Enlarged breasts are making you lose confidence and are the cause of the embarrassment
○ Swollen, tender breasts with or without discharge from nipples
○ Family history of gynecomastia
○ The outcome of bodybuilding
○ Exercise and diet are not helping
● For gynecomastia, patient must be:
○ Within the healthy weight range
○ Above the age of puberty
○ Do not smoke or have quit smoking at least 2 weeks before the surgery
○ Free from medical conditions like diabetes
● The consulting surgeon will perform a complete medical examination and tell the patient about the outcome, risks and benefits of the gynecomastia. This will help the patient with deciding on the treatment of gynecomastia.
At MEDSTAR, we have a highly qualified and experienced clinical team in the cosmetic department. Our surgeons are well known for performing safe procedures with a high success rate and long-lasting results. They are easy to approach and help our patients decide the best treatments. Our latest infrastructure also helps us deliver world-class facilities under one roof in Dubai for the better health of our patients. With the help of our experienced clinical team and updated infrastructure, we have treated numerous cases of gynecomastia with safe and satisfactory results. Our highly experienced gynecomastia surgeons in Dubai will guide and counsel you before, during, and after the surgery with a bespoke recovery plan and instructions.
● Gynecomastia in puberty usually goes away on its own. But in 20% of the cases, males can retain the man boobs after puberty and need medical or surgical treatment.
● Gynecomastia can be treated by:
○ Treating the underlying cause of gynecomastia like liver disease, low testosterone level due to hypogonadism, etc.
○ Stopping the intake of medications causing gynecomastia.
● Even after treatment of the cause of gynecomastia, if it does not improve itself or the patient complains of swelling and tenderness with or without discharge, then medical or surgical treatment is required.
● Medical treatment: In this option, medicines used to treat breast cancer in females are prescribed to reduce breast sizes like aromatase inhibitors. In cases of low level of testosterone synthetic testosterone derivatives are prescribed. These drugs are approved by FDA but they are approved for treating gynecomastia.
● Surgical treatment: In this option, enlarged breast tissues are removed surgically by:
○ Liposuction: In this procedure, fat is disrupted by thin tubes called a cannula and then sucked out by a surgical vacuum.
○ Breast tissue excision surgery: In this procedure, whole-breast tissue is removed.
● In this option, medicines are prescribed to reduce the size of the male breasts. These medicines are approved by FDA for breast cancer in females only.
● Surgical treatment is advised by surgeons when medical therapy and treatment of underlying cause do not help resolve gynecomastia.
● Surgically enlarged male boobs can be treated by:
○ Liposuction: This procedure is performed under local anesthesia. The surgeon will make small incisions along a portion of the edge of the areola or within the armpit. Through these incisions, the cosmetic surgeon will remove excess breast tissues and sculpt a new natural-looking chest contour. Know more about liposuction.
○ Beast tissue excision surgery (mastectomy): This surgery is performed under general anesthesia and excess breast tissues are removed directly by making incisions near the areola. It can also be done through a minimally invasive approach through armpit incision and endoscopic visualization.
● In the cases of large breast tissues, both tissue excision surgery with liposuction is required to achieve the desired results.
● These are outpatient surgeries and the patient can go home the same day.
● Let our experienced plastic surgeons and cosmetic surgeons help you with gynecomastia for safe and satisfactory results.
● Pre-operative instructions for gynecomastia are:
○ Patients will be asked to stop medications that can lead to bleeding or delayed healing complications.
○ To stop smoking 2 weeks before surgery
● Post-operative instructions for gynecomastia are:
○ The patient will be asked to wear a compression garment for a couple of weeks to reduce swelling and support healing
○ Patients will be prescribed medications for pain, swelling and bruising at the surgical site.
○ Patients will have to take rest for 2-3 days and can return to normal work routine in 3-4 weeks.
● Consult our surgeons for any confusion in following the instructions or in case of abnormal symptoms of severe pain, swelling, bleeding with or without discharge and fever.
After gynecomastia surgery in Dubai, the patient can notice an immediate improvement in the shape and appearance of the chest. The patient will feel sore for a few days, for which the cosmetic surgeon will prescribe pain medication. The patient is advised to wear a compression garment for comfort, reduction in swelling, and help in healing the chest. The results of gynecomastia are generally long-lasting, but can be maximized by maintaining an active healthy lifestyle.
Enlarged breast tissues in males are called gynecomastia. In most cases, gynecomastia resolves on its own but in cases of persistent breast tissues, medical or surgical treatment is needed to treat them. It can be reduced by:
● Treating the underlying cause of the gynecomastia like liver diseases or low testosterone levels or medications like steroids, diuretics, etc.
● Treating enlarged breast tissue directly by the use of medicines and surgery.
Gynecomastia caused due to an increase in weight can go away with weight loss. But in some cases, they remain as it is, even after weight loss and regular exercise. This kind of condition needs medical or surgical treatment. Surgical treatment is the long-lasting and most effective option for gynecomastia surgery in Dubai. Minimally invasive surgeries are also available for minimum scarring with the least complications.
The cosmetic surgeon treats the condition of gynecomastia. Careful examination, diagnosis, and surgical approach of the gynecomastia surgeon in Dubai affect the final results of the procedure. You can opt for our cosmetic surgeons who are skilled and experienced in performing safe cosmetic procedures in both men and women.
Gynecomastia can look like swollen or enlarged breasts. Based on the appearance, it can be graded as:
● Grade 1:Enlarged nipples
● Grade 2: Enlarged with excess fat
● Grade 3: Enlarged nipples with excess fat and skin
● Grade 4: Full-grown breasts like females
Medications are one of the causes of gynecomastia. A diuretic drug (increases the production of urine) called furosemide can cause gynecomastia. When it is given in combination with digoxin (heart diseases drug), it increases the chances of enlarged breast tissues in males resulting in gynecomastia. Stopping or using an alternative for these medicines can help resolve the gynecomastia issues in men.
Gynecomastia can not cause infertility and vice versa. A decrease in testosterone hormone levels in males can lead to both infertility and gynecomastia. In such conditions, the underlying cause of low testosterone is diagnosed and treated. In the meantime, if needed, testosterone derivatives are prescribed by the doctor to treat the symptoms.
Gynecomastia is normal in cases of babies, boys going through puberty and men above 50 years of age. It is caused in adult males due to hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance can be the result of:
● Medical conditions like tumor of testes, liver disease. hypogonadism, etc.
● Medications like steroids like Aldactone or diuretics like furosemide or heart disease medicine like digoxin.
● It can also be the result of weight gain, genetics and bodybuilding.
copyright @ medstarhc.com